25 November 2007

The start of a new career...?

I now have a second job -- a part-time proofreader for the magazine Egypt Today. I've worked there a few days now. It's going to be only a few days toward the end of each month, during the production period. I'm excited to see the world of journalism from the press room.

It's the largest and oldest English-language magazine in the country. A little ambiguous whether it's a domestic or international magazine -- they kind of claim both. Most of the writers are Egyptian, but most editors are expats. All the proofreaders are American. One of the editors looks and sounds like a young Peter Jackson. The managing editor's named Patrick FitzPatrick; I wish he had an Irish accent.

I doubt my career aspirations will shift too dramatically, but it should be interesting. Maybe I (or Milli) could actually get something published...

No comments: