05 March 2008

Asking to be mugged

Yesterday I road a crowded subway with LE 5,300 in my pockets. That's almost $1,000. (For reference, average annual income in Egypt is about $1,500.) One thick wad filled each of my front pockets. People were pressed up against me the whole time. I kept my hands in my pockets the whole ride.

So why was I carrying so much money in cash? The only way to buy tickets with Egypt Air is to purchase them in the office; their website does not work and they will not sell anything over the phone. Their customer service is astoundingly bad, with each person telling you something different. Each method -- internet, phone, in person -- yields different rates. We use cash to avoid the extortionary fees they hit you with for using a foreign credit card. We were buying six tickets for a flight to Upper Egypt when our family visits in May.

So, lots of cash. I felt much better once I had tickets in my pocket instead of eight months' wages.

1 comment:

Annie Johnson said...

Thought you guys might be interested in this really cool Egypt site:

http://timea.rice.edu/