14 September 2007

Confession

I'm a bad tourist.


Embedded in my complexity-ridden head is a distressing paradox:

1) I love visiting new places and peoples and cultures, and I love commodifying them in such a way that I can put them in my pocket and take them home. Which is why I have a secret dream of being a great photographer. It's the artform I am the closest to being able to personally produce. But I hope to be able to live that life vicariously through my brother (in-law), because I will probably never be able to myself because...

2) I go to extraordinary lengths to be culturally sensitive. To a fault, I admit. One area this sensitivity rears its head is in my hesitation to take pictures when there's a chance it would be inappropriate and make someone uncomfortable. My introversion also compels me to avoid making a scene, or even drawing much attention. I try to blend in wherever I am -- as you may guess, with the places I choose to live (Uganda, Harlem, now Cairo), often in vain. And yet, still I try, even though some people tell me I shouldn't bother.

Also, I admit that I tend to romanticize the "other." Part of me sometimes wishes that I could leave my own culture and become part of another. It's the reason I resonate with movies like Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai, despite their bad actors: a sensitive, "civilized" White Man repents of his colonizing homeland and joins a noble, "uncivilized," indigenous community which his people are usually in the process of bulldozing. Simplistic and overly dramatic, yes; but it gets me every time. I want to be like the "other," so I play down everything that separates us and pretend like I belong.

So, out of respect, intimidation, shyness, or something else I can't codify, I hesitate. I drool over the portraiture and beautifully framed scenes that others can produce because they aren't hindered by hesitations like mine. At the same time, I hate the means to the end. I hate the tourist attitude and demeanour and sheer obtrusiveness.

All this to say, last night was disappointing. Milli and I went out aiming to seeing post-fast Ramadan revelry, and while we didn't see as much jubilation as we had been told to expect, it was incredible nonetheless. We turned off the main roads and meandered through the side streets and alleys of our neighborhood. Clusters of dazed men sat around in cafes, billowing sheesha (hookah) smoke. A group of boys huddled around a small TV in an alley, watching a football game. We passed under banners, flags and strands of lights draped between buildings, part of the festivity's decorations. People sat at a long table set for a few dozen, waiting for the fast to be broken. A woman watched us pass from a second-floor balcony where she was hanging clothes to dry. A small boy almost bumped into us as he ran past, dragging a wooden chair behind him. A posse of goats stood tethered against a wall.

Around every corner lay another intriguing snapshot of life, but I couldn't take any of them.

On our way back home (or what we thought was back -- we got lost), we passed the long table again, which was now bustling. They wouldn't let us pass, but insisted that we join them! We were led over to one end of the table, sat down, and watched in surprise as plates were thrust in front of us: bread, rice, juice, stew of okra, tomato, lamb. None of them knew any English, and the few phrases of Arabic that we had learned fled my mind, so we ate in silence, smiling at each other. We did manage a few "shukran"s (thank you). I sat across from a couple young boys, and it was obviously strange and/or awkward for them. I doubt a white guy had joined them for breakfast before. Most people had finished eating by the time we got there; once we were done, the table was essentially deserted. As we got up to leave, pears were offered to both of us. Dessert.

We chalked up the outing as a success. It will remain documented only in our minds, but maybe that's enough.

I'll post the few meager pictures I allowed myself to hurriedly take. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on how to work through this issue, please share. I would be grateful to hear other perspectives.








8 comments:

Holly said...

Nate - Your poetic descriptions of the scene is enough to take me there! Awesome. Love the pictures you took

Megan Michelle said...

nathan-
i learned much of what i know about cultural sensitivity from you. be glad that you are a bad tourist - it speaks to your integrity that you don't want to commodify or exploit other cultures.

p.s. your pictures are lovely. you're giving aalok a run for his money! :)

Graham said...

I loved your description too. It sounds like you are getting the non-tourist experience that you wanted.

joshwall said...

We(or at least I) resonate with the dilemma of taking photos. We've taken our share of photos and rather enjoy taking photos but it always seems that the time, energy, and effort needed to take good photos while traveling... well it isn't worth it. This is in addition to being an (already obvious) outsider to the culture and feeling that as you stand there camera in hand. Also, I find that when I'm taking pictures I often lose what else is happening and focus on taking pictures...

Aaron said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I also know what you mean. And I think in the end I am happy with only the memories of the places we've been but felt too shy to pull out the camera. A camera often changes the situation, like that scientific principle about uncertainty where observing something changes the observed. It really does.

On the other hand, some of my favorite photos are from when I was brave enough (and I mean brave- if our trip has taught me anything it's that Josh is much more bold than I) to ask someone if I could take their photo. I didn't always get the deep, thoughtful facial expressions of a candid shot, but it was a start for me. One of my favorite photos is of a Bangladeshi man proudly holding up his hand-scale with our just-purchased mangos on it. The expression on his face is fantastic, and I ALMOST didn't ask if I could take the photo...

Anonymous said...

I am not sure that I agree with most of the comments posted. When you experience a culture by living it then the moments are yours too. By taking pictures and sharing it with others you are opening up the culture and people for others too. This allows people who are unable to travel to broaden their thinking beyond their US world. Please do not hestitate to take pictures and share them.

Unknown said...

So my comment's way late, but it's my first visit so I'm making up for lost time.

Your description was way better than any photo that you coulda taken, but if you must take them:

1) take candid shots when possible, and if someone catches you in the act, point to your camera with raised eyebrows to ask if it's ok. If they say no, no harm done.

2) zoom in a little closer than you're comfortable with. that's more for aesthetic purposes than cultural sensitivity, but whatever... it will help you get bolder.